If you’re looking for the best outdoor tanning lotion with healthy ingredients, this is your time. More often than not, we forget to take good care of our skin. And that's not a healthy attitude.
Because our skin is considered to be the most important part of the body. It contains proteins and fats, right? And these keep the skin healthy and glowing.
For tanning purposes, the skin starts to dehydrate and peel due to daily sun exposure. But with the help of an outdoor tanning lotion, you're making it much easier on your skin to heal itself. You don't want a thick layer of dead skin cells destroying your natural skin nutrients.
You could use any one of our top choices to prevent skin diseases and get a better-looking tan. If you want great skin, you have to apply tanning lotion to trap the moisture and proteins from getting away.
Quick Comparison: Top 7 Best Outdoor Tanning Lotions
* Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see customer reviews and current prices on Amazon.com
The Best Outdoor Tanning Lotions Reviews
All sunscreen lotions do the same thing, but outdoor tanning lotions are way stronger. They add a thick layer on top of your skin, so you get a bolder tan and prevent any skin damage. They feature ingredients with skin-healing properties.
Research got us to some professional outdoor tanning lotions with healthy skin benefits. The only thing you need right now is a cream that takes care of your skin just like an essential oil would do.
So if you want faster tanning with a beautiful, natural outcome, you have 7 top lotions to choose from.
1. Maui Babe Browning Lotion 8 Ounces - The Best Natural Outdoor Tanning Lotion (Editor's Choice)
The Maui Babe Browning Lotion is a harm-free and professional tanning lotion. It helps you get the perfect sun tan in a short time. Made with exotic and natural Hawaiian ingredients, this outdoor tanning lotion works.
It has a water resistant capacity, and it repels most insects. You will have problems using this tanning lotion, especially because it is not oil based. For a natural tan, oil based tanning lotions feel a tad bit inconvenient. The sun triggered tanning technology on this lotion is pretty consistent and dependable.
You'll notice a difference in your skin tone in under 15 minutes!
Unfortunately, this outdoor tanning lotion comes with a strong odor that sticks. But the smell fades away after a few washes.
- The lotion feels super soft and silky.
- It's made with all natural ingredients
We Don't Like
- It has an unyielding smell that only fades away after a few washes.
2. Millenium Tanning New Paint It Black Auto-Darkening Dark Tanning Lotion - The Best Outdoor Tanning Lotion for Fairer Skin
The Millenium Tanning Lotion offers all natural ingredients such as green tea extract. This means that this best tanning lotion is perfect for that dark tan. With a unique auto-darkening tan technology, this tanning lotion is a good buy for the money.
It feels lighter with an unnoticeable color quality. Plus, it makes a good tanner with a decent smell. The smooth consistency of the lotion makes it easy to reach hard areas on the body. This is particularly useful when you want a healthy balanced tan all over your body.
For the price you pay, the skin-firming and silicone emulsion fragrance features are a good deal. It has the sort of moisturization that lasts all day.
The only drawback to this tanning lotion is that it doesn't work as an active tanner or bronzer. It does not offer the extreme dark bronze tanning result most people want.
- The smell is refreshing.
- It provides long-lasting moisturization.
We Don't Like
- It creates an extreme brown or bronze tanning result.
3. Ed Hardy Coconut Kisses Golden Tanning Lotion - The Best Skin Nourishing Outdoor Tanning Lotion
If you want a cream that helps you build your base tan, this one is for you. It is the outdoor tanning lotion that absorbs quickly and leaves a great tan. The Ed Hardy Tanning Lotion offers natural coconut ingredients for long-lasting results.
It also comes with a melanin synthesizer that works for dark tanning results. It purifies your skin, penetrates deep for optimal hydration, and provides good firmness. It even has a hint of bronzer in it which makes the skin feel soft and silky.
But the lotion consistency is a bit thinner than most other tanning lotions we've tested. It's not the best, but it does provide excellent absorption.
- The scent and consistency work well to moisturize and protect the skin.
- It stimulates tyrosine activity, which plays a significant role in skin cell regeneration.
We Don't Like
- The lotion is not thick enough.
4. Australian Gold Sinfully Black 15x Deep Dark Bronzing Tanning Lotion - Suitable for Tanning, Moisturizing, and Intensifying Skin
The Australian Gold Tanning Lotion offers caramel and walnut shell extract ingredients. These work together for the perfect natural looking tan most people want. With a more potent bronzer, this best outdoor tanning lotion is ideal for all skin types.
It doesn't turn your skin to a noticeable orange, and neither does it burn when you're outdoors. Keeping your skin moist and smooth is its important function. Anything is better than the fancy tan salons. With the help of this tanning lotion, you can get the best side of the sun for a beautiful tan.
The cream runs a bit thick which can be difficult to apply on unreachable parts of the body such as the back.
- It keeps the skin moist.
- It has a pleasant, mild scent.
We Don't Like
- The lotion is hard to pour out of the bottle due to its thick consistency.
5. Hawaiian Tropic Sunscreen Protective Dark Tanning Sun Care Sunscreen Lotion - It has the Best Natural Ingredients for Sensitive Skin
Ever heard of a tanning lotion with therapeutic benefits? The Hawaiian Tropic Sunscreen Lotion doubles as an active sunscreen. It can be used for outdoor tanning as much as for sun damage prevention.
When you have sensitive skin, tanning is not an option. But what if you apply something that provides higher SPF and helps prevent sunburn? This best outdoor tanning lotion darkens your base while moisturizing your skin.
Afterward, it keeps your skin fresh all day and night long. This prevents dryness of skin, peeling, and itchiness.
Though this outdoor tanning lotion is the best choice for sensitive skin, it has an unusual smell. The odd chemical smell can be a deal breaker for some.
- It provides optimal sun protection for sensitive skin.
- It helps prevent bad sunburns from tanning for too long.
We Don't Like
- It has a unique, chemical-like fragrance.
6. All Natural Dark Tanning Oil by Tropical Sands - Suitable for Both Indoor and Outdoor Tanning Uses
The Tropical Sands Tanning Oil offers superior protection to most people. It isn't made with harmful chemicals and has a mild fragrance to match its 100% natural formula.
It doubles as an indoor tanning lotion as well. But we found that its outdoor tanning benefits are far more efficient than indoor. This best outdoor tanning lotion is waterproof.
So if you're around water, it won't lead to rashes or burns. With no emulsifiers, it gives the best tan, and you can use it as a natural moisturizer after you get out of the shower.
Everything about this outdoor tanning lotion feels reliable and professionals. But it does not have that thick, butter-like consistency for a tanning spray. It has a sheer quality with slight residue.
- It has both indoor and outdoor tanning properties.
- You can use apply it around water with no limitations.
We Don't Like
- The lotion's consistency is watery and hard to apply.
7. Sun Bum Self Tanning Lotion - The Best Tanning Accelerator for All Skin Types
The Sun Bum Lotion is an expert tanning lotion suitable for outdoor use only. For those of you who love to spend time in the sun will appreciate this outdoor tanning lotion. It gives you the dark tan without much effort. Plus, it reduces the risk of skin damage due to frequent sun exposure.
It protects your skin against harmful UVA and UVB rays. UVA rays tend to cause skin sensitivities and sunburn. And if the rays penetrate deep into your skin, it causes skin cancer.
That's why you need the natural ingredients of the Sun Bum Lotion to keep you safe. It comes with nutrients like proteins and amino acids for a smooth suntan. It even features hypoallergenic properties for sensitive skin.
The only disappointing aspect of this tanning lotion is that while applying it, it can get a bit messy.
- It works great as a tanning accelerator.
- It provides incredible protection against harmful UVA and UVB rays.
We Don't Like
- You need to be very careful when applying.
Outdoor Tanning Lotion - Buying Guide
Staying safe in the sun with an outdoor tanning lotion is essential when you want a healthy tan. Sun damage leads to many other skin diseases including skin cancer. To know how women can protect themselves, especially younger women, isn't much of a hassle.
Most people are doing outdoor tanning lotions wrong. How? Because of the lack of reliable information out there. When you want to get tanned, you should know how to wear outdoor tanning lotion in an efficient manner. Only then does it make a difference.
Below are all the tanning lotion facts you need to know. We begin with understanding the different types of tanning lotion. You can then determine your ideal product at a good price. And knowing how to apply outdoor tanning lotion could save your skin from serious damage.
The Different Types of Tanning Lotions
The differences between outdoor and indoor tanning lotions are pretty recognizable. For starters, outdoor tanning lotions offer professional UV protection with SPF. Indoor tanning lotions offer unique features that allow you to control the tan you get.
It's important to know what makes outdoor, indoor, and basic tanning lotions. Because most indoor tanning lotions aren't suitable for outdoor use. And the basic tanning lotions might not work well for your skin's preferences.
Outdoor tanning lotions are most beneficial as they reduce the risk of skin diseases. This can happen due to extreme sun exposure. Indoor tanning lotions are appropriate for indoor tanning beds only. While outdoor tanning lotions protect the skin from sunburns, dryness, and peeling skin.
If you want to get the best tan results from your day in the sun, it's very important to buy an outdoor tanning lotion. It gives you the perfect kind of tan one expects from a tanning lotion. And it alleviates the many harmful side-effects of too much sun exposure.
How to Get a Good Tan in a Week? Beautiful Tans
The Proper Method to Use Tanning Lotion
To use a simple outdoor tanning lotion is easy when you know exactly what you want. It is important to pick the right tanning lotion as they come in different categories for skin. Some have anti-ageing properties, some for smoother skin, etc.
Some tanning lotions leave noticeable color on the skin. So proper care is necessary when applying outdoor tanning lotion. Below are a few important steps to consider before using an outdoor tanning lotion.
- You might not know this, but you can be allergic to some tanning lotions. Which is why you should apply it on a small part of your body to understand whether you're allergic to that lotion.
- Before you apply tanning lotion, scrub your skin to remove dead skin cells. It's essential to prevent any skin damages. Plus, it gives you a better tan.
- To apply outdoor tanning lotion in an effective manner, you can wear tanning gloves.
- Before applying the lotion, ensure your body is completely dry. Moisture doesn't work well with tanning lotions. It slows down the process, giving you an unsatisfactory tan.
- All parts of the body with hair such as eyebrows and scalp hair must not be in contact with the tanning lotion.
- Sometimes soap isn't enough to wash away tanning lotion. In such a case, lemon juice is the second most effective way to clean.
When the weather’s all warmed up, you get tempted to get the perfect tan. And to hasten the process of getting naturally tanned, you need something strong to help you out. That's where the best outdoor tanning lotions come in.
Do you want the right tan-enhancing product? Or do you want something universal like a basic sunscreen for your tan?
The answer to those two questions is yes and no. You definitely want something professional to enhance your tan. And you do not want sunscreen as it doesn't provide an effective skin tan. With so many variations of lotions, you want something genuine for better skin tone and SPF.
That said, our top choice for an outdoor tanning lotion does make the cut. It's the Maui Babe Browning Lotion. It’s a genuine product for those looking for something healthy as well as effective.
Finally, this guide is for those looking for a bolder tan. With plenty of products on the market, our top choices have lots to offer to you. They're designed for faster hydration, protection, and tan enhancement. The choice is yours to make.
You might also like: